Why bone density assessment is recommended in our Chicago practice
Are you at risk of osteoporosis?Several factors increase a woman’s risk for osteoporosis:
- Gender is a primary factor in the development of osteoporosis, which generally affects women. This is because a woman’s bones are lighter and thinner than a man’s.
- As a woman passes menopause and experiences a decrease in the production of estrogen, she becomes more susceptible to osteoporosis.
- A woman who is “small-boned” to begin with or weighs less than about 125 pounds is at a higher risk.
- Family history in which a parent has experienced a hip fracture points to an increased risk.
- Lifestyle factors such as lack of exercise, alcohol and tobacco use, vitamin D deficiency, and low calcium put a woman at risk for osteoporosis.
- Certain medications increase risk.
Bone density assessment is a great tool for early diagnosisIn our Chicago women’s health practice, we offer assessment for bone density, which alerts a woman to her risks before she experiences a broken bone. Using specific technology, we are able to evaluate if bone loss has occurred and, if so, how much, and assess for future risks of fracture.
Bone density assessment is a simple procedure performed on an outpatient basis. There are no special requirements for preparation. This diagnostic evaluation is similar to an x-ray.
Should I schedule a bone density assessment?Bone density assessment with one of our esteemed Northwestern gynecologists is recommended for women who:
- Are over the age of 65 and have at least one risk factor
- Post-menopausal women under 65 who have at least one risk factor
- Have been on hormone replacement therapy for some time
- Have experienced a low-trauma bone fracture
- Take medication or have a medical condition associated with osteoporosis
Back to Gynecology Home Page
At Northwestern Women's Health Associates
your unique needs are our highest priority.Making use of advanced technology and staying on the cutting edge of women’s healthcare, our team of experts is dedicated to providing every woman who visits our office with the highest level of sensitive, specialized care. At our office in Chicago, you can receive exceptional obstetrics and gynecology (OBGYN) services from any one of our highly skilled doctors, including Stanley Friedell, MD; Marc Feldstein, MD; Abbie Roth, MD; Regina Belmonte, MD; Sharon Wise, MD; Julianne Morton, MD; Whitney Dunn, MD; and Aleena Lakhanpal, MD. With their combined expertise, this team of board-certified doctors at Northwestern Women's Health Associates makes it possible for you to receive efficient, personalized care from the preeminent women’s hospital in the Midwest.
"Wonderful experience with Dr. Julianne Morton @ NW Women's Associates. I've recommended her to countless girlfriends. Being a first time mom, I went through many physical symptoms and emotions that accompany pregnancy. She is extremely thorough, patient, and has wonderful bedside manner. I felt confident going into delivery with Dr. Morton taking the lead with my delivery. Wonderful practice!"
"Dr. Morton is absolutely amazing. She cared for me throughout my first pregnancy and we found her to be kind and caring and straightforward - could not have asked for a better experience! Dr. Dunn ended up being on call during my delivery and she was great as well. I have always found the nurses and office staff to be friendly and on top of things - very happy with the practice!"
"I had to have a laproscopic hysterectomy done by Dr. Friedell and all went fabulously! They were very detailed in pre-op which made a lot of difference. I came out of surgery feeling great and post op I was back to work within two weeks. Everyone at the practice, at the hospital, at pre-op were incredible."
"Dr.Julianne Morton is amazing! I was recommended by a friend when I moved to the Chicago area and was looking for an OB-GYN. I have seen her for two years in Chicago for my yearly exam. She is beyond kind and great at what she does. Dr.Morton makes you feel very comfortable and is such an incredible doctor! I have recommended her to all of my friends as well who need a new gyno/OB-GYN."