Chicago doctors prefer minimally invasive surgery to treat gynecology problems
There are many symptoms and gynecological issues that can be resolved through non-surgical treatment. However, there are times when surgery is necessary to resolve a condition and return a woman to optimal health. For women experiencing endometriosis, ovarian cysts, or need a hysterectomy, Northwestern Women’s Health Associates, works to reduce patient anxiety, discomfort, and recovery time through the use of minimally invasive surgery. If you are in the Chicago area and in need of gynecology care, we encourage you to schedule a consultation.
Minimally invasive surgery is also called laparoscopic surgery. This is a procedure that uses a video camera and thin instruments. Small incisions, up to half an inch, are used to insert plastic tubes called ports. The camera and instruments are then used through these ports. This lets your organs be seen without a large incision.
Benefits of laparoscopic surgery
- Less post-operative discomfort.
- Shorter hospital stays. Sometimes you can go home the same day.
- Less scarring. Incisions are much smaller, resulting in barely noticeable scars.
- Faster return to full activities.
Conditions treated with laparoscopic surgery
- Endometriosis – Endometriosis is the growth of cells similar to those in the uterus, outside of the uterus. Often this tissue becomes excessive enough on other pelvic organs to cause severe issues. Surgical intervention can be necessary to clean endometrial tissue from other organs.
- Ovarian cysts – These are solid or fluid filled pockets in or on an ovary. Due to size or number of cysts, surgery may become necessary.
- Hysterectomy – While some hysterectomies cannot be performed through laparoscopic surgery, a large number can be. Instead of the typical six weeks downtime following regular abdominal hysterectomy, this procedure can have a recovery time of two weeks.
We are invested in providing you with compassionate care for all your gynecological needs. Call 312-440-9400.