Menopause is a time in a woman’s life that comes with numerous changes. About 30 percent of women in this life stage report that they feel no major differences in terms of health and wellbeing. For the other 70 percent, menopause and the years that come before the end of menstruation can produce a range of symptoms. The degree menopause affects one woman will differ significantly from others.
The team at Northwestern Women’s Health Associates in Chicago understands the varied effects that menopause can produce from one woman to another. We offer sound advice and a listening ear to each of our patients, designing a care plan that will meet individual needs throughout this time of fluctuating hormones. We also provide ongoing care to women who enter menopause because of surgery. In these cases, the sudden onset of menopause can increase the severity of symptoms.
Obtaining regular care from your Chicago gynecologist during the years leading up to and following menopause is important to sustaining a healthy, full quality of life. As the hormones that regulate menstruation change and diminish, a number of other concerns may arise, such as the increased risk of heart disease, bone loss, weight gain, painful intercourse, and more. During your annual exam with your doctor, you have the opportunity to have bone density evaluated, blood work completed, and are provided the time to discuss your symptoms and concerns.
Various solutions to the symptoms that accompany this change in hormones are available. In our Chicago women’s health practice, we discuss with our patients ways in which they may guard their health and maintain wellbeing with prescription or over-the-counter medications as well as lifestyle habits to promote wellness.
Menopause is somewhat complex and thus has no single form of therapy. Some women may choose to make their way through menopause with medications to promote healthy bone or decrease hot flashes while others may not. The role of your Chicago gynecologist is to monitor your health throughout your menopausal years and beyond, and provide suggestions and guidance based on your risk factors for disease and needs for physical and emotional wellbeing.
Hormone replacement therapy is an option to be considered, though not the only one. There are also herbs that may reduce the symptoms of menopause, as well as exercises to reduce stress on the mind and body. What is “right” is for each individual woman to decide.
You do not have to find your way through menopause alone. Your doctor at Northwestern Women’s Health Associates, is a trusted source of information and support. Call 312-440-9400 to schedule your consultation.