OB/GYN office helps Chicago Women understand abnormal pap smear results
Sometimes, the things we don’t understand can cause greater anxiety than the things we do understand. Northwestern Women’s Health Associates , serving the Schererville area, wants to help all women understand their bodies. We believe that leads to better health and emotional well-being. One area that can be confusing is if abnormal pap smear results come back. We want to help you understand what could cause abnormal pap smear results, and explain further action we will take if you have one.
What a pap smear is:
This is an exam we use to test for cervical cancer. It can alert us to changes in your cervical cells that potentially will turn cancerous later as well. A pap smear is done in our office. We use a swab to take a sample of cells from your cervix during a pelvic examination.
What can cause abnormal pap smear results
- HPV infections that change your cervical cells. These are the changes that can often lead to cancer. Often, the only sign of an HPV infection is an abnormal pap result.
- Other sexually transmitted diseases: Trichomoniasis and herpes can both cause abnormal results.
- Yeast and bacterial infections: These infections are easily cleared up but can affect the pap smear results.
What happens after an abnormal test result
- Because of the various reasons an abnormal result might occur, we often recommend a follow-up appointment to discuss the results. During the follow-up we may run other STD tests take another pap smear or prescribe medication for a bacterial or yeast infection.
- If we are concerned or can’t eliminate the cause for your abnormal pap smear we will perform a colposcopy. We use a high-powered microscope to examine your vagina, cervix, and labia. We also take samples for biopsy. This allows us to proceed with appropriate treatment.
We care about you! Call today to schedule your appointment. 312-440-9400.